Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Natural Garden Slug Control - Every Day Living



Hey everyone, today Ed from Everyday Living in the Pacific Northwest is  here today to share a tip just in time for Spring....

Natural Garden Slug Control

 Seriously, I just counted 8 slugs that we caught in our simple trap and it is all natural! It can be done in 4 simple steps.
  1. Eat some tuna. Depending on the size of your garden, two or three cans are needed.
  2. Wait! Don’t throw out the tuna cans, just clean them out.
  3. Place empty cans in garden.
  4. Buy beer, drink some beer, then pour some of said beer into the tuna cans.
DSC_0118

DSC_0120
All done, now you just sit and wait. The slugs like the beer (cause who doesn’t) so they go for it, fall in the can a drown. Easy as that. No mess, no worries about chemicals. Just replace the beer with fresh stuff now and again and your golden. SO far it has been extremely effective in our garden. Mel’s dahlia went from being half consumed to looking great only after a couple of weeks.

18 comments:

  1. It does work but if it rains, replace the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed you are brilliant! Do you recommend craft beer over others?! Any particular favorite? Thanks for guest posting here at the Cafe with this excellent and timely advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any beer will do! Thank you for the positive comment!

      Delete
  3. This is timely advice, I agree with Danni-those slugs always get my hostas!!

    Thanks-a-bunch!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmm looks like I found some new drinking buddies! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Ed, you are talking directly to me with this post. I despise snails and slugs. I come by it naturally, my dad has had a vendetta against them for as long as I can remember. Maybe I'll put the husband in charge of snail control this year...he'll probably enjoy the, take a sip part. Thanks for posting here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip! I have never heard of this! Do they still sell Red White & Blue beer? Nothing but the best for the slugs in my garden. haha! Great share at the Cafe! Thank you so much, Ed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed - you so know that we are all gonna be pouring beer all over our gardens right? My hedgehogs may not love me for it though! Awesome tip and thank you so much for posting today - please come back again very soon xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey it is pet friendly (nost pets) thanks Nat!

      Delete
  8. Love this Ed we are huge veggie gardeners and this Summer the slugs and snails have been terrible. It's the first year we actually put baits down because they just ate everything we planted. We have plenty of beer ;) Thanks for posting for us great tip. I'm off to check out your blog xo Mel xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ed, I love this tip! My little garden was infested with slugs last spring and we ended up using slug bait too. I'm not fond of that stuff. Who knew a diet of tuna and beer could knock out slugs in your garden if used correctly? It's great seeing you here at the cafe too. Happy slug baiting/beer drinking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely do this. Now, do you have a tip for mosquitoes?????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome glad to hear Talya...and actually I do have a tip for mosquitoes. Get rid of all your standing water on you property. Use pesticide in all water basins in your area, their are options at all hardware stores, try to go natural. Wear grey/bland color clothing with long sleeves. and keep an eye on your ankles, they love em! (i use to work as a mosquito abatement technician lol which actually means mosquito killer

      Delete
  11. Does it work for the ugly tomato worms too?

    ReplyDelete