Thursday, March 28, 2013

Skinny Jeans Tutorial - Mammy Made

 Adele is here from Mammy Made, today...


 

Hi everyone. I'm Adele and I live in England with my two gorgeous babies, Leyla who is 4 and Naomie who is 2. I am so excited to be contributing to Inspiration Cafe again today!


I usually blog over at Mammy Made. I like to write about crafting, cooking and homeschooling, although I am only homeschooling part time at the minute. I have tons of tutorials on there so come by and say hi, I’d love to see you! 

Today I am going to be showing you how to turn a pair of bootcut jeans into a pair of skinny jeans. I am also going to show you how to do a reverse applique as a patch on your new jeans or wherever you would like.



I had this pair of jeans forever but I hardly ever wore them as they were flared. I prefer skinny jeans so I can wear my boots over them if it is chilly out. I decided to take this pair in on the inside seam so I could wear them more often.


To do so, I just turned them inside out and put them on. I pinned where I wanted my new seam to be (whilst wearing them), then took them off very carefully and drew a line down my new seam line. I did one long line from hem to hem, through the crotch. I stitched along the line with a straight stitch then cut off my excess fabric and ran a zigzag stitch in the allowance. I cut some of the crotch off to make a smoother sewing line but you will want to be careful not to cut too much off or your jeans may be too short in the rise. Luckily, mine are just perfect now.


The jeans also had this little hole just under the knee. I'm not sure how I managed to get a hole there. It seems like a strange place to me hehe. Anyway, I figured that while I was taking them in, I may aswell put a cute reverse applique patch on them to cover the hole.


I very carefully drew and cut out a heart shape around the hole then cut a square of denim to easily fit behind. I pinned it well, made sure the denim was centred as much as possible on the back, then stitched around the heart shape with a zigzag. I used thread the same colour as the stitching on the rest of the jeans so it looks like it was meant to be there. I cut off the excess material at the back and my patch was done :)


Next, I took the hem on the legs up just a little bit. I didn't quite manage to line up my second leg perfectly so the stitching was a bit off. Plus, they were just a tiny bit too long anyways so no biggie. I cut off the original hem, then folded and folded again to make a nice double hem. I stitched it down using my new twin needle originally but didn't like the look so I unpicked it and ran a single line of straight stitch. The twin needle was awesome though! Much easier than I expected!


I love my new jeans :D

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial. Thank you so much to everyone behind Inspiration Cafe for letting me contribute again. It's been fun!

5 comments:

  1. Adele, this post is right up my alley! I love the rev. app. patch, so cute I am going to use that myself! Brave woman to mess with the crotch!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skinny jeans....not for me, but that cute heart patch? So very awesome!! I love it and way better than the usual patch! Thank you for sharing at the Cafe today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are darling! I wish I could wear skinny jeans and I love the heart patch - so cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adele - I love those jeans and the heart patch is so cute! What a great tutorial! Thank you so much for yet another great share at the Cafe! We are so thankful for your wonderful shares! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much all of you. I'm so thrilled to be a part of this <3

    ReplyDelete